Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Composition with Red, Blue, and Yellow

 
Mondrian’s Composition with Red, Blue and Yellow is currently in a private collection. Mondrian was part of the De Stijl movement and was the founder. The style revealed the underlying eternal structure of existence. Members of the movement wanted to stay close to simple shapes because they didn’t want to recreate something in nature, and that technique is called pure plastic. Mondrian used the primary colors, and simple horizontal and vertical lines. The only way they could create dynamism was through the different sizes and colors.

Before art history I had never heard of Mondrian but had seen his patterns in fashion magazines. I chose one of his pieces for my collection because I’m an avid reader of fashion magazines and being able to include a piece that involves fashion is fun for me. I also like the fact that the De Stijl movement was very simple and clean which in a way represents who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment