Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Madonna with the Gold Finch

 
This piece by Raphael is currently located in Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence, Italy. He used the pyramidal composition with the three central figures, which he learned from Leonardo. The manner in which nature is depicted is typical of 16th century art in Italy and differs from that of Northern Europe because it’s much more simple and less realistic. He also uses sfumato to decrease the visibility of the perspective. It is typical of Raphael because of the woman and other figures’ soft features. Lastly, he concentrated on religious themes unless they were frescoes.

I decided to go with this piece because I feel that Raphael is undermined as an artist. People often pick Leonardo or Michelangelo but I feel that Raphael was just as competent. I enjoy his works more because of his soft delicate features. I also feel that the piece represents the Renaissance well because there are three main figures together in a triangle which is composed of three sides. It represents the most important number during the Renaissance because it demonstrates balance within the piece which is why I decided to add it on to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment