Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lady Liberty Leading the People

 
Delacroix’s Lady Liberty Leading the People is currently on display at the Louvre in Paris. This piece is Romantic because it deals with patriotism. We have a reference to Amazonian women by the uncovering of Lady Liberty’s breast. It was meant to commemorate the July Revolution of 1830 in France. The bodies surrounding her represent the injustices. The church of Notre Dame is in the background as if the church was simply sitting back and watching the city’s destruction because the church always sides with who’s in power. The piece also serves as the main image in Les Miserable’s.

Now I know I’ve stated before, “this is my favorite because…” but to be sincere, this piece is among my top five pieces because of its message. I also liked this piece from the moment we began to study it in class because it happens to be the album cover for Coldplay’s Viva la Vida!. The pieces overall look is dramatic and somehow reminds me of Nike of Samothrace with the drama and movement occurring.

No comments:

Post a Comment