Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Les Invalides

 
Les Invalides was designed by Hardouin-Mansart. The church is attached to the veterans’ hospital established by Louis XIV. It’s was built during the Baroque period. We can tell it is a Baroque building because there are an even number of levels, and columns. There are more than three levels, there are several elements put together. The façade protrudes, which was a typical convention in Baroque architecture. Furthermore, the dome is ornate, and with the use of gold also adds to the Baroque characteristics; it is reminiscent to Saint Peter’s dome, and the top of the dome is reminiscent of the Saint Ivo Chapel.

While in Paris, I became obsessed with the church, unaware of its name or origin. My obsession resulted in having approximately 200 photos in different angels of the church. Upon learning about Les Invalides in class, I was ecstatic and when I learned about this project I knew I had to included it in my collection. I enjoy staring at the amount of details and gold the church dome has. It’s my favorite element of the church. If I were to have to pick a favorite building I study this last year, I would pick Les Invalides because of the general impression it left me in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment