Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Scream

 
I first stumbled upon Munch’s piece my freshman year in honors world history. I had seen the Scream many times before art history and once I learned what the piece was about I liked it even more. Munch was a Scandinavian artist and part of the symbolists. He conveys the figure’s emotion in to the viewer which is how he makes his point. The shape of the figure is reinterpreted in the background. The purpose of this piece for Munch was to describe his personal fears. This piece is being displayed at the National Gallery located in Oslo, Norway.

I chose this piece because I felt that it could still be relevant in today’s society. What I like about this piece is the long brush stokes Munch used and how he reincorporated the figure into the background. Furthermore, I felt that the message was well conveyed because of the expression and emotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment