Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Saint Chapelle

 
Saint Chapelle is a church built during the high Gothic period. It’s often known as the Gothic Jewel. It was built during Louis IX reign in order to serve as the royal family’s chapel and to store their jewels. Saint Chapelle is located the right side of Paris’s Seine river. It is well known for it’s enormous and extremely ornate stain glass windows. The stained glass windows are flamboyant. They start from the floor up.

Although I did not see Saint Chapelle’s interior during my trip to Paris, I was fortunate to see the exterior. I liked the fact that Paris was full of churches, yet its exterior stood out in my mind because of its size. It’s not large but still makes a statement. I chose it because of its lasting impression and its extremely ornate, jaw-dropping interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment